D is for Disgusting, Damnations, Dull, Dreary etc etc…
Why am I perennially irritated?
- I have had absolutely NOTHING to do for the last week. I was bored in bouts previously, but there were moments of salvation in between. Like the time I went to Morrison drunk with Venom’s friends. But since May 30th, it’s been an irrelevant existence. Wake up at any time, sleep at any time, eat, don’t eat, who cares! HAL Bangalore is killing me. Make up your mind! Please!
- Monisha of moated grange is having a great time… in Bangalore! Everyone but me is in MY city. Even Decay had a week in Mukteshwar amidst some eco-geeks! I haven’t done a thing! Except shave my head. A day after I do it, a friend of mine tells me it’s the latest fad. I am completely cut off from all current affairs. I wasn’t even aware that the World T20 Championship was taking place until a few hours ago.
- And this leads me to my next point. The World Quiz Championship is tomorrow. Great! More obscure trivia! Honestly, quizzing stopped being fun somewhere in my 2nd year. As I said on Twitter, the set of “things/topics I like” is a subset of the set “stuff which will never make it’s way into a quiz question”.
- I’ve been listening to a lot of Sum 41 and System Of A Down. I miss Radiohead. However, my system cannot sufficiently cool an AMD Athlon X2… so it shuts itself off before it can even boot. So I’m stuck with my roommate’s laptop.
- Started reading ‘India After Gandhi’ by Ramachandra Guha, but found it to be so accurate and non-partisan that it began to depress me. Were I not a member of this blighted race, I would’ve finished it in a day. Were my history bad, I would’ve finished it in a day. Unfortunately, reading the lead-up to the 1962 war is getting to me. I honestly cannot turn another page. And even assuming I skip that part, I’ll still have the war of ’65, the war of ’71, Indira Gandhi’s ‘Garibi Hatao’ election, the Emergency and Sanjay Gandhi, Janata Party and Morarji Desai, Indira part II, Operation Blue Star, the Sikh genocides, Punjab Terrorism, Morte d’Indira, Rajiv “the unwilling PM” Gandhi, Sonia Maino, LTTE, Rajiv’s assassination, babri, Bombay, terrorism strikes, the 90s and the rise of regionalism, Sonia Maino turns Gandhi, Atal’s 13-day stint in Power, H.D. Deve Gowa as PM (“-the fuck?”), I.K. Gujral’s highly useless and uneventful stint, BJP’s rise, Nuclear Tests… Basically, Indian history is interesting till the Slave Dynasty of the 13th century. I know, political intrigue existed back then too (Kanishka “The Great” was assassinated in his sleep by a Kushana General, similar to how Xerxes – of 300 fame – died. Minus the Kushana part). Summary: Can’t continue with India After Gandhi right now. Romila Thapar’s book on Ancient India: Pre-history to the 12th century ought to capture my interest more.
- And wordpress is starting to annoy me. The screen is lagging behind my keyboard by a good 2 seconds. And the spell check is astounding! Words that were underlined included “friend” (suggested change: “fried”), “with” (suggested change: “wii”) and… “wordpress” (suggested change: “worthless”)
And finally, an ad concept which came up with. I won’t be surprised if someone else came up with it before this:
This has been a headache.
Poetry is a common feature on blogs. You see a lot of amateur poesy on yonder blagosphere… And when I say amateur, I mean crappy. I mean, really, god-awful, torturous, pompous, self-indulgent, moronic fecal matter.
Thus, I shall conclude this annoying (it has been so to write and I assume, shall be so to read) post with… A poem.
Death is the end of life; ah, why
Should life all labour be?
Let us alone. Time driveth onward fast,
And in a little while our lips are dumb.
Let us alone. What is it that will last?
All things are taken from us, and become
Portions and parcels of the dreadful past.
Let us alone. What pleasure can we have
To war with evil? Is there any peace
In ever climbing up the climbing wave?
All things have rest, and ripen toward the grave
In silence; ripen, fall and cease:
Give us long rest or death, dark death, or dreamful ease.
I know, there’s been an underlying series of references. But I doubt anyone cares or will find it. Even with this text here and the bloody obvious last hint.